Do you enjoy setting new and exciting goals at the beginning of the year?
I love the idea of embarking upon a new adventure that involves my hopes, dreams, and vision, and I know that setting goals is one of the best ways to bring that vision to fruition.
However, I often find that after I’ve set my goals, they tend to fall by the wayside after a few weeks. I lose momentum quickly and eventually abandon the goals altogether. Can you relate?
If so, I want to tell you about a goal-setting method that I recently discovered: The 12 Week Year!
An Overview Of The 12 Week Year + YouTube Video
The 12 Week Year is a goal-setting method that promises success in reaching your goals in just 12 short weeks! I began applying and implementing the 12 Week Year on January 1, 2019, and have a lot to say about it. Instead of writing lengthy blog posts, I decided to start a video series on my YouTube channel. Check it out!
Recap Of The 12 Week Year Overview
About the 12 Week Year
- The 12 Week Year: Get More Done In 12 Weeks Than Others Do In 12 Months
- Authors – Brian P. Moran & Michael Lennington
- Written in 2013
The Problem with Annual Goals
- When we believe we have plenty of time to achieve goals, we tend to procrastinate
- Lack a sense of urgency because you have an entire year to get it done
- Tend to frantically work on goals towards the end of the year
- Motivated more by a deadline than an actual purpose
The 12 Week Year Basics
- Long enough to make progress, but short enough to create urgency
- Narrows your focus, decreasing wasted time on unimportant tasks
- Each year stands alone – set new tasks each 12 week year, or build on previous tasks
- One year is a month, one month is a week, and one week is ONE DAY!
Establish Your Vision Before Setting Your Goals
- What is the overarching vision you have for your life?
- What is your why?
- Consider several areas: health, relationships, career, business
- Long term aspirational vision: 5, 10, or 15 years into the future
- Mid term vision: 3 years. Should be more specific than your aspirational vision, but still quite far off
Set Goals Based On Your Vision
- Each 12 Week Year consists of goals related to your vision
- Set S.M.A.R.T. goals
- If your goals are not connected to your vision, you will not be motivated to act on them
- Avoid setting too many goals; 2 to 3 goals per 12 week year is advised to avoid overwhelm and burnout
Plan Your 12 Week Year
- Each of the goals you set will consist of tactics, or actions that you will take weekly and daily in order to achieve the goal
- Planning is crucial in reaching your goals. I use several planners to outline my tactics for the week.
- Create routines for your tactics and other areas of your life, such as a morning routine
Will You Consider The 12 Week Year For Goal-Setting?
I am excited to continue sharing my 12 Week Year progress with you on my YouTube channel. Be sure to subscribe to the channel so you won’t miss a video!
Have you read the 12 Week Year? If so, are you implementing it?