Hi! I’m Malika. Welcome To The Thriving Lady!
I created The Thriving Lady in 2018 because I was convinced that there were other women out there like me, who desired freedom from money worries.
Women whose lives have become more about acquiring things than living with purpose.
Can You Relate To This?
- Your finances are out of control. You’ve tried budgeting before but often feel overwhelmed. At the end of the month you find yourself wondering where all your money went.
- You’re overwhelmed by debt. Every time you make a plan to pay it down, an unexpected expense pops up. You’re stuck in a cycle of minimum payments and increasing interest.
- You’re drowning in a sea of clutter. Your home has become a chaotic environment, full of things you don’t love or need. But, the idea of letting go of things is scary.
- You’d love to pursue your passions. But, bills and debt are keeping you stuck in a dead-end, miserable job.
If you can relate to even one of these statements then you are not alone. I’ve been there and am still working through some of these things as I join you on this journey. I am not here just to give you tips and advice, but to walk with you.
Why The Thriving Lady?
When I think of the word thriving the first thing that comes to mind is growth.
A thriving business. A thriving relationship. A thriving career. You get the picture.
Growth, or thriving, is an ongoing process. It is continuous. And, it requires intentionality.
I am passionate about joining you on this growth journey, helping you thrive in the areas of money and minimalism, with the ultimate goal of living for what matters most.
A Scarcity Mindset
I grew up in a single parent household with a mother who worked very hard to ensure I had everything I need. Still, I was very aware that my mother struggled to keep us afloat financially.
This lead to a fear and scarcity mentality in my relationship with money that followed me into my adult life.
Through trial and error, I’ve learned how to manage money responsibly. In 2018, I let go of my fears surrounding money and paid off all of my debt!
I plan to share my tips, tricks, and advice for managing your money the right way.
Watch My Debt Free Announcement!
Living With Less…A Journey Toward Self-Discovery
To look at me, my clothes and accessories, you’d never know that I’ve lived a life attached to things, both tangible and intangible things. It was never very obvious.
But, secretly, I was attached. I shopped for things I didn’t need. I filled my over-sized home with furniture because I couldn’t stand the thought of empty rooms.
I coveted what other people had and went out looking for a version that I could afford.
Then I discovered Minimalism! It is slowly changing my life. I’ve already started taking action and minimizing my possessions.
No, minimalism isn’t the answer to all of life’s problems. But, it is a lifestyle that leads to contentment and freedom.
I want help you to discover how living with less will help you discover what’s most important in your life.
The Thriving Lady YouTube Community
I started a YouTube channel in November 2017 as a creative outlet, sharing videos on topics such as weight loss, decluttering, and personal finance.
YouTube is a search engine, a place where people go to find help on various topics. So I realized that adding videos to my blog posts would make them that much more helpful and motivational.
Most, if not all, of the posts you’ll find here will have an accompanying YouTube video. Feel free to subscribe to the channel!
More About Me
- I’m a Southern girl, a Georgia Peach to be exact! I was born and raised in Georgia and I still live here. Maybe I’ll move someday. Maybe not!
- I am a believer in Jesus Christ! I was baptized at the age of 21 and have been living for God ever since. My relationship with God is the foundation on which I stand.
- I have been a clinical social worker for 10 years! In October 2018, I quit my then job and took a much needed a career break (debt freedom allowed me to do that!). Now, I am blessed to be self-employed, able to pursue my passion: writing! In addition to this blog, I also have a faith blog: Fearless | Faithful.
- I’ve been meat-free since 2010. I never really cared for meat and challenged myself to go without it for a few weeks; I’ve made it nearly 10 years! These days, I consider myself a pescetarian (fish and shellfish only). I tried veganism for all of 5 months, but couldn’t stick with it. I admire anyone living a vegan lifestyle.
- I have natural hair! I haven’t permed my hair since 2010 (same year I stopped eating meat). It’s been a journey but I wouldn’t go back. I love my natural curls! In the words of India.Arie, “I am not my hair….”
- Before I became a social worker, I wanted to be an FBI profiler or behavioral scientist. I am fascinated by human behavior, specifically what drives people to commit crimes. And, yes, I’ve seen every episode of Forensic Files!
Comment below and tell me some fun facts about you!!
Get In Touch!
Feel Free To Reach Out!
Get password access to the Resource Library for printables, worksheets, and spreadsheets that will elevate your life! You’ll also receive the Weekly Newsletter, full of encouragement, advice, and subscriber-only content.